Friday, August 3, 2007

and now it's the end of Week 3.

oHow time flies. It has been 3 eventful weeks since the start of my 2nd year in Monash. So far so good, good in the sense that i've enjoyed myself throughout the last 3 weeks, and yes, i've not touched my readings (expect for the COM2411 reader)... yet.


Bleh.


I guess it's time to introduce the subjects i'm taking this semester, and please, don't get too jealous. Teeeeheeee.


1. Media, Culture, Power (COM2411/3411).
- Mainly deals with the big idea of what constitutes "culture" between the two big opponents - the idealist and the materialist, and how and why the media has a great influence on "culture".
- Culture with a capital C.
- Dr. Yeoh is still Dr. Yeoh. I think his lectures are pretty cool.


2. Radio and Television Journalism (JRN2907).
- Met the coolest lecturer ever. He's a radio jockey on Traxx fm (M'sia's non-format radio station) which goes by the nickname of Double D and he's also a regular disc jockey at Sanctuary Bar @ The Curve. Many many exciting and interesting facts about radio were being told by him, since he's experienced when it comes to the entertainment industry. As i'm refreshing my memory right now, his most memorable moment on earth was the time when he interviewed Michael Schumacher, one of the most famous F1 drivers in history, and also the time when he managed to conduct an interview with our ex-Prime Minster, Dr. Tun Mahathir Mohammad.
- Yes, as you can see, he's the coolest lecturer so far.
- 100% based on assignments, means there's no final exam for this unit. Sounds like a good deal, ain't it?
- I'm definitely not a fan of radio-tuning in Malaysia. I dislike tuning into M'sian radio, the only time i listen to M'sian radio is when i'm stuck in some annoying traffic jam in PJ/KL. However, i do miss tuning into my all-time favourite radio station - 987 fm. It's a Singapore radio station by the way, and it's like 100 times better than the top radio station in Malaysia. I'm sorry i have to say this, but it's true.


3. Global Cultures, Local Traditions - creating, consuming (popular) culture (INT2060/3060).
- Sounds interesting huh? Of course it is! Just that the readings can be pretty difficult to comprehend.
- Miss Sheila is our lecturer once again. She taught me feature writing during my 1st year.
- This is all about how globalization changes our culture and how certain local traditions are untouched by globalization.


4. Contemporary Television Studies (FTV1010).
- 1st ang-moh lecturer - Benjamin Mckay.
- He's interesting, has a sense of humour, and has a thick Australian accent.
- This subject is damn freaking cool because we get to watch dramas/soaps/films during lectures. And oh, they showed my all-time favourite soap opera - Desperate Housewives during the previous lecture and they're gonna air Sex and The City next week! I like Sex and The City too! Wheeeee.



*****


My twin came here to pay me a visit two days ago, and spent two nights with me. (: Too bad she didn't join me at Luna Bar last night. =/ And speaking about Luna Bar, it IS better than Sky Bar. The place is bigger and has two sections - outdoor and indoor area. Yes, the swimming pool is also bigger than the one at Sky Bar. And oh, i had long island tea by the way. ;)


I just wrote down all the assignment deadlines on my desk calendar. Boy, i can start feeling the stress already. o.O I have practically one or more assignments each week starting from the week after next. Not to forget the presentations as well... Man...


Finally met up with my woman who came back from her exchange programme in London last night. Had good japanese food at Zen Restaurant @ Sunway Pyramid with her and her housemates. Will be meeting her again this weekend. Can't wait! (:


And i'm starting to miss my family... =/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home